10.07.2010

SOUP'S ON

heirloom tomatoes courtesy of my sister's garden - yum!
Now that Fall is FINALLY here {kind of - does 80 degree weather count??} it is soup season. One of my all time favorites is this roasted tomato basil soup recipe that my cousin Lindsey gave to me. Somehow when I was visiting her in London, she mysteriously whipped it up in what seemed like 10 minutes. This weekend it only took me 2 hours??? But I guess I was puttering while waiting for the tomatoes to roast and then again while I was waiting for it to cook on the stove. And let's not forget the explosion of really HOT tomato soup out of the blender at the very end and the clean up involved {I really need a hand blender in my next life}. Nevertheless, I'm not sure how she does it. She is a pro in the kitchen... But I digress, this soup is delicious and with a grilled cheese accompaniment - the perfect meal to welcome the Fall season.


ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP

3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 quart chicken stock or water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.

In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade (I used a blender, a hand mixer would be ideal). Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.

1 comment:

  1. You are so kind! I am glad you enjoyed it while here! I cut a lot of corners, which is why it doesn't take me as long as it says. :) Your post actually has me making it today. Nice for our chilly fall weather.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails